Monday 17 January 2011

Scary In the City- The morning after the night before

After finding myself in a less than glamourous situation, I've taken it upon myself to compile some rules about dating in London/overnight stays. What can I say, I did it all for you dear reader...

I will illustrate my point by telling you the tale of a stupid fashion journalist who woke up after two bottles of Pinot Grigio and a stomach full of nothing. The story starts with an optimistic young girl going for a casual drink in Islington, and ends with her running for the tube whilst trying to keep down a Burger King breakfast the nexy day. Oh, after nearly being killed by a lunatic cyclist (what's with the need for speed here?)

So okay, sometimes when you know a date well enough its acceptable/convenient to stay the night instead of getting the last train. This is typically an un-planned event when the date over-runs, turning into more drinks/dinner/ the next bar etc. What I'm saying is, even if you've not plannned to stay the night there are some fail-safe things you can carry in your bag which will prove invaluable if this does occur. You should carry :
  • Mini deodrant
  • A toothbrush
  • Clean underwear
  • Mini hairbrush
(And the essential make-up, but you knew that already)

But oh no! it's 2:30 - the tube is closed and you've just realised your date is totally annoying! perhaps he's suggested you go dutch on a bill because he's cheap a feminist. IT'S OKAY. Here is my biggest secret, so guard it well. Put an alarm on your phone. This will make it all the more believable when you jump up the next morning saying things like 'Oh! is that the time, I better get ready BYE'
A word of caution (this is a cautionary tale) Do not set the alarm for too early. Realistically, when you wake-up hungover at 7am on a cold wintry morning, you are not going to get up. When you then awake again at 12, it will make your 'presentation' seem, quite simply, a lie. Come on girls, it's just unfeasible.

So, I might not have looked fantastic with my mascara smudged around my puffy eyes the next morning, but I didn't care. I was a feisty woman of the new millenium, and defending it as Marc Jacobs grunge anyway.
Luckily I was able to make a quick get away as I downloaded 'Tube Map' on my blackberry- yeah yeah maybe it won't seem 'cool' or 'trendy' to your London friends, but an essential to natives such as myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment