Monday 6 December 2010

Parisian Party Of One: single in the city

I love love love dining alone, however there are some rules we singledons must abide by.
Firstly, don't ever book the table- thats a bit tragic. You want the air of someone who just has time to lunch by themselves, whenever they may like. I even like to wear a beret sometimes (especially at cafe rouge with one of their hot chocolates- yum!). Perhaps you are a lost soul, carried wherever the wind may take you - you dont want to ruin this charade by booking in advance now do you.

It's also nice to have a prop, such as a magazine or book - really you want a nice floppy paper or big magazine that will stay open by itself on the table. This isnt neccessarily for reading material, but will serve as something to occupy your attention so that people wont interrupt your me time, or take it as an opportunity to join you. I was actually breakfasting alone this weekend (the morning after the night before!) when I spotted a fellow single diner. It was in a little jazz cafe, and he was wearing a black polo neck whilst doing a crossword - this is what I like to call 'taking it too far'.

On another note, I've discovered there are just some things you dont want to order alone such as a Full English. This would have been ok if I was in a casual cafe, but my chosen venue was a little chi chi and I had to sit next to a french speaking couple for an appauling duration (I'm a slow eater)

Finally, you must keep your phone out of sight or atleast not play with it exssesively- rumours will be ripe amongst staff that you've been stood up! so bring out the beret and you're ready to go, happy lunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment